Rankings, reviews and client testimonials collected by The Legal 500 for Arendt & Medernach
The Legal 500 analyses the capabilities of law firms around the world, with a comprehensive research programme that is reviewed each year to provide the most up-to-date overview of the global legal market.
In 2023, Arendt & Medernach is again the firm with the most top-tier rankings in Luxembourg, for ten practice areas.
Drawing upon 'good technical knowledge and know-how of the expectations of the local regulator', Arendt & Medernach is a popular choice among banks, fintech companies, insurers, funds and corporates on complex financing mandates, standalone regulatory advice, as well as M&A in the sector and litigation, which both require deep knowledge of the underlying regulatory regime, both locally and from an EU perspective.
- ‘We always find the team very professional, reliable and friendly to deal with, and in effect they work as part of our wider team. They understand our objectives and find ways to make them work under local law.’
- ‘The team has good technical knowledge and know-how of the expectations of the local regulator.’
- ‘The team combines strong knowledge across multiple fields in the practice area. It is also probably one of the few in Luxembourg to have good commercial and legal knowledge of the space industry sector.’
With ten partners devoted to corporate and commercial work, domestic heavy hitter Arendt & Medernach has the resources and expertise to handle a tremendous range and volume of local and cross-border mandates for an impressive roster of clients, including corporates, financial institutions and private equity sponsors.
- ‘They have a deep understanding of the startups and tech ecosystem (stock options scheme set up, raising capital, investor negotiation, contract review etc).’
Instructed on a standalone basis, as well as effectively able to leverage the firm's overarching institutional client base - particularly in the funds and financial services sectors - the 'exceptional' three-partner team at Arendt & Medernach provides a 'hands-on' approach to litigation.
- ‘It is an exceptional team.’
- ‘The team is highly qualified, helpful and understands the client’s needs.’
- ‘Sober professionals with a hands-on approach. They deliver high quality submissions and present them to the court.’
Arendt & Medernach advises an impressive roster of banking and industrial clients, in particular, across a wide range of individual and collective labour law issues affecting their business operations in Luxembourg. As well as the real world experience the team has gained over the years as result of standalone advisory and project-related employment matters, many of its practitioners are members of associations and working groups and are thereby abreast of trends and changes in the employment market.
- ‘The firm provides tailor made solutions for each case.’
- ‘They have developed strong expertise on topics such as CSSF-related matters.’
One of the few firms in the market with a standalone offering in the sector and able to leverage a 'very strong relationship with the regulator', Arendt & Medernach 'not only knows the law and regulations, but also, knows how these are applied'. Consequently, the team is well-placed to provide discrete regulatory advice, as well as to advise on M&A in the sector, the roll out of new products and assisting insurance companies establish in Luxembourg as their European hub (particularly attractive in a post Brexit world).
- ‘The firm has very good knowledge on local market practices and more importantly an excellent relationship with the regulator. The team is able to provide trusted advice on short notice based on precedents already tested with the regulator.’
- ‘The firm has a strong regulatory insurance team, which not only knows the law and regulations, but also, knows how these are applied. The firm’s ability to know what would or would not be acceptable to the regulator makes it the “go to” law firm for regulatory advice.’
At the vanguard of the development of the funds industry through its longstanding fee-earning expertise, as well as public advocacy work which has helped to shape regulatory framework in the Grand Duchy, Arendt & Medernach remains the go-to-firm for many fund managers on their fund structuring and regulatory requirements. The retail space remains the firm's most fertile source of instructions with many practitioners in the team having developed a solid expertise in accompanying their clients in their global distribution strategy, advising notably in their traditional UCITS structures and alternative UCITS investment strategies.
- ‘It is a commercially-focused team with strong problem-solving skills and a good relationship with the regulator.’
- ‘The team has outstanding knowledge of the investment fund industry in Luxembourg.’
- ‘The team has outstanding experience and is very well connected.’
Arendt & Medernach's team provides 'pragmatic and business-minded'advice to clients across a range contentious and non-contentious IT and IP-related work, including as it relates to digitisation projects, outsourcing arrangements and IPR protection/enforcement.
- ‘Their work is always precise, pragmatic and business-minded.’
- ‘Responsiveness; highly knowledgeable; close links with key regulator stakeholders.’
The 'responsive' team at Arendt & Medernach provides 'high-quality advice' to an impressively large proportion of many of the largest financial sponsors in the Luxembourg market on their activity throughout the value chain, including on their downstream investment activity.
- ‘The team is responsive and provides high-quality advice.’
'Exceptional in the breadth and depth of its bench', Arendt & Medernach provides 'sophisticated, commercial and highly responsive’ advice across direct and indirect taxation, both in a standalone advisory/litigation context, as well as in support of other practice areas within the firm. Team 'deeply understands both the most complex tax issues and the practical commercial environments in which they must be resolved', ensuring that he remains a popular choice on the national and international tax structuring pursuant to a range of corporate and finance transactions handled by the firm.
- ‘Arendt’s team is, in our view, the most comprehensive in terms of expertise and our first choice for Luxembourg.’
- ‘The high quality of advice is assured, and their responsiveness to our queries is much appreciated. Perhaps of greatest value to our firm is that the advice is solutions-oriented and pragmatic – in other words, they can solve problems rather than simply explaining them.’
- ‘The firm’s tax practice is exceptional in the breadth and depth of its bench. The team is sophisticated, commercial and highly responsive.’
Tapping into multidisciplinary expertise throughout the firm's full-service offering, being well-versed in new technologies/innovation and also drawing upon 'a great knowledge of the local regulatory environment', Arendt & Medernach is well-placed to advise the myriad stakeholders (including established traditional investment banks, technology providers and start-ups) throughout the value chain of the evolving sector.
- ‘The firm has a great knowledge of the local regulatory environment and is very pragmatic in its approach.’